Neufeld Institute Courses
About Dr. Neufeld
Dr. Gordon Neufeld is a Vancouver-based clinical and developmental psychologist who has been working with children and those responsible for them for over 35 years. A former professor of developmental psychology and parent-child relations at the University of British Columbia, his best-selling book Hold On to Your Kids has been praised by parents, educators and mental health professionals worldwide. It won the 2006 National Parenting Publications Gold award and is now published in 8 languages. Dr. Neufeld’s courses are suitable to parents, caregivers, and professionals who work with children.
Heart Matters: The Science of Emotion
- In this course, Dr. Neufeld outlines five basic steps to emotional health and development so adults can foster emotional well-being and get to the root of such problems as alarm, anxiety, agitation, aggression, impulsiveness, lack of empathy, bullying, and so on. This course is powerful in the insight it provides as well as the changes it inspires. To make sense of emotion is to make sense of us all. There is no better way to glean insight into oneself and others. Having a working knowledge of the science of emotion should be a prerequisite for anyone responsible for children or working with adults. While the focus of the course is on children and youth, the content is applicable to individuals of all ages.
- This course is highly recommended for all helping professionals, educators and parents.
- Registration and Information. More information about the course.
Making Sense of Anxiety
- Dr. Neufeld takes us through a deeper look at the sources and surprising solutions for this common problem. Anxiety is a growing problem for children of all ages. It takes many different forms, playing out in obsessions, compulsions, avoidance, panic, phobias, and a host of troublesome behaviours. We cannot treat something that we do not understand; making sense of anxiety is foundational to its cure.
- Click Here for Preview
Making Sense of Adolescence
- Understanding the dynamics of adolescence can provide the keys for knowing how to respond to problems that may arise. Our hurried and complex society requires a lengthy adolescence and yet provides very few cues and supports for parents and teachers to perform their critical roles in the lives of adolescents. The task of crossing the bridge from childhood to adulthood has never been more daunting. Dr. Neufeld will clarify the role of parents and other adults, and provide practical suggestions for how to successfully negotiate this important developmental stage. He gives both the tools and the eyes to see an adolescent through the journey, and articulates why now more than ever adolescents need our help to cross that bridge.
- Click Here for Preview
Making Sense of Preschoolers
- A six hour course explaining what every child needs us to know about them. Precocious, brazen, obsessive, endearing, hysterical, impulsive, anxious, delightful, unreflective, dogmatic, generous, unstable, aggressive, resistant, compulsive, and anything but consistent, no one is more susceptible to being misunderstood than the preschooler. Dr. Neufeld provides insight into their shyness, separation anxieties, aggression, resistance, oppositionality and more. Making sense of this confusing yet wondrous stage of life lays the foundation for intuitive and fruitful interaction with the preschoolers in your life.
- Pick up your copy of newly-released book about preschoolers, by Neufeld Faculty, Dr. Deborah MacNamara, “Rest, Play, Grow”. Copies available at Resilience Couple and Family Therapy.
- Click Here for Course Preview
Preserving Play in the Digital Age
- The newest course from the Neufeld Institute, this course takes the “Making Sense of Play” (2 Hrs) and “Raising Children in a Digital World” (2 1/2 Hrs) and pulls these two important elements together in one place. Play is not optional from a developmental point of view, and parents need to know what is and is not the kind of play that fosters growth of a child’s potential. That’s where the Digital Age material comes in. What looks like play is not always play, especially in the digital age. The good news is, we CAN preserve true play, even in the face of digitally attractive not-true-play distractions when we know the difference and understand its importance.
- Either course is available and may be offered on its’ own.
Power to Parent Series, Part III: Common Challenges
- This course is the third installment of the Neufeld Institute’s flagship series for parents. Common Challenges focuses on the typical challenges of parenting. Every child gets stuck from time to time on the road to maturation. Dr. Neufeld helps equip parents to read the signs of a child in trouble, live with a sensitive child, cultivate resilience in a child, lead an alpha child, soften a defended child, discipline a stuck child, and more. Dr. Neufeld offers effective and safe practices that honour and preserve the relationship, even when the problems seem daunting.
- Click Here for Preview